Japan had been high on my checklist from last one year. Unique culture, historic architecture, magnificent temples/shrines, cherry blossom and natural beauty was enticing enough and finally I decided to bite the bait. I had already missed the famous Japanese autumn season so I had an opportunity to visit during Cherry Blossom (Sakura) season.
I spent two weeks in April’16 in Japan with no-one on accompanying but my camera, covering over 2000 miles by road. This was first of many experiences for me. This was my first solo, budgeted, backpacking, photography trip in which I got to stay in backpacker and capsule hostels and met a uncountable number of amazing people from every corner of the world with a common ambition, to see the World. Beyond doubt, it was a thrilling experience and I got to listen to many heartwarming stories and last but not least got an opportunity to do an exclusive shoot of a geisha.
Highlights of The Trip
Castle of Osaka
Shrines of Nara
Full Cherry Bloom (Sakura) in Kyoto
Bamboo Grove of Arashiyama
Traditional Side of Japan
Hospitality of Japanese People
Tori gates of Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine
Spectacular Snow capped Mt Fuji
Night Life of Tokyo
Shrines of Nikko
World Heritage site of Shirakawa-go
Snow Walls of Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route
My day-wise plan and detailed posts are as follows. I will add hyperlinks as detailed posts for each of these attractions are published.
- Day 1 – Osaka Castle | Nara | Train to Kyoto
- Day 2 – Kyoto : Heian Shrine | Philosopher’s Path | Ginkakuji | Yasaka Shrine | Maruyama Park | Kiyomizudera Temple (Night Illumination of Cherry Blossom)
- Day 3 – Kyoto : Arashiyama | Togetsukyo Bridge | Tenryuji | Bamboo Groves | Jojakkoji Temple | Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Street | Kinkakuji | Shijo Dori (Gion)
- Day 4 – Kyoto : Geisha Shoot in Higashiyama | Kodaiji Temple | Fushimi-Inari Taisha
- Day 5 – Kyoto : Rainy day at Keage Incline | Overnight Bus to Lake Kawaguchiko (Fuji Five lakes)
- Day 6 – Mt Fuji : Lake Kawaguchiko | Fugaku Wind Ice Cake
- Day 7 – Mt Fuji : Chureito Pagoda | Iyashi no Sato thatched Houses (Healing Village of Nemba)
- Day 8 – Mt Fuji : Milkyway shoot @ Mt Fuji | Nature trail along lake Kawaguchiko | Onsen at Hotel Mifujien | Bus to Tokyo
- Day 9 – Tokyo : Sensoji temple | Nakamise Dori | Asakusa
- Day 10 – Tokyo : Meiji Shrine | Takeshita Dori | Shibuya
- Day 11 & Day 12 – Nikko : Toshogu Shrine | Kanmangafuchi Abyss | Shinkyo Bridge | Train to Tokyo | Overnight bus to Kanazawa
- Day 13 – Shirakawa-go : World Heritage site @ Shirakawa-Go | Night stay at Toyama
- Day 14 – Japan Alps : Inauguration of Snow walls at Tateyama Alpine Route | Night stay at Matsumoto
- Day 15 – Tokyo : Bus to Tokyo | Street Photography and Shopping at Shinjuku, Asakusa, Odaiba, Kkabukicho and Golden Gai
I have returned home with over 200GB of images and time-lapse videos, few TBs worth of memories and experiences for life.
If you want to my budget planning for this trip and expense details check this post.
** if you liked my pictures, spread the love by sharing on Facebook and other social media sites using buttons below **